In 2020, Europeans Spent 31% More On Mobile Apps

According to data from Sensor Tower Store Intelligence, European consumers spent about $14.8 billion in the App Store and Google Play in 2020. This is an increase of 31% over 2019. Much of it was driven by the COVID-19 pandemic and quarantine restrictions at a time when Europe became one of the most affected regions. In 2020, Europe accounted for only 13,3% of the global mobile apps revenue, which reached $111 billion.

Apps Downloads and Revenues in 2020

The Apple’s App Store generated $8 billion in gross revenue, up more than 31% from last year. At the same time, revenue on Google Play grew by 30,8% YoY to $6.8 billion.

Overall, the App Store accounted for 54% of consumer spending in Europe in 2020, while Google Play accounted for the remaining 46%.

Consumer spending on mobile apps in Europe 2020

In terms of downloads, there were 28.4 billion unique downloads in the App Store and Google Play in 2020, up 17.4% year-on-year. As usual, Google Play received significantly more downloads than the App Store, making more than 21 billion installations, which is 19.2% more than last year. the App Store provided 7.3 billion downloads, an increase of 12.3%.

app downloads in europe in 2020

Google Play accounted for 74% of all downloads, while the App Store accounted for 26%.

Analysis by Countries

The UK generated the most revenue in 2020: App Store and Google Play user spending totalled $2.9 billion, up 33% from last year. Germany lagged slightly behind with $2.8 billion, up 33,3%, while France came in third with $1.7 billion, up 25,8%.

The UK accounted for the largest share of App Store revenue in Europe at $1.9 billion, or 23.4% of all in-store user spend. Germany, meanwhile, ranked first in revenue on Google Play, receiving $ 1.6 billion, or 22.7% of the total.

top European countries by consumer spending in mobile apps in 2020

Leading Apps

Dating platform Tinder was the most profitable non-game app in Europe in 2020, generating $329.5 million in user fees, well ahead of app # 2 – Netflix. It should be noted, however, that Netflix redirects App Store users to its website for new signups, which Sensor Tower is not tracking.

Top non-game apps by European revenue in 2020

TikTok climbed to the top spot for downloads in 2020 with approximately 163 million installations in Europe, up about 78% over last year. It is followed by WhatsAp, with Zoom ranking 3rd.

top non-game apps by European downloads in 2020
Stay tuned with Software Focus!
0 0 vote
Article Rating
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x